June 11, 2017

Kedai Kopi Jiang Yu Zai 姜鱼仔 @Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Address: 5A, Jalan Bandaran Berjaya, Bandaran Berjaya, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Business hours:  Sunday - Monday 7:00am - 2:00pm

Kedai Kopi Jiang Yu Zai is formerly known as Kedai Kopi Sin Houng Kee 新鸿记. I shortlisted a few of the famous foods in Kota Kinabalu before hand, the fish soup is the one we should not be missed. Years ago, I'd tried the one at Kedai Kopi Houng Kee 鸿记, located at Luyang Commercial Centre. I missed it a lot, the tomato soup and fresh fish ingredients. This time I decided to try out Sin Houng Kee as it is nearer to our hotel. 

We used Uber and Grab for the ease of mobilisation in KK. I have to say, Grab's drivers in KK are much better than Uber's, in terms of car quality. I used 3 times of Uber, 3 times of Grab. Experience of Grab, we sat in cars like Toyota Avanza, Suzuki Swift, and Mitshubishi Triton. Whereas Uber, we had Perodua Viva, Proton Saga, and Perodua Viva. Ok, that's for your reference. But in terms of charges, Uber is cheaper. 


Kedai Kopi Sin Houng Kee took us sometime to search its location. We were dropped off by the driver at wrong spot, we had to rely on our own GPS to look for it. Passed through the lane, we were puzzled. Thought this should be the location, but we didn't see any Kedai Kopi Sin Houng Kee's signboard but Kedai Kopi Jiang Yu Zai. Walked to this coffee shop, my friend was intended to ask for direction. I saw the menu on the wall stated "Sin Houng Kee". Ok, this is Kedai Kopi Sin Houng Kee originally. Don't know why they changed the name. Anyway, the time we went there was around 9:30am. Still got plenty of seats.




This is the menu on wall with the name of Sin Houng Kee that helped me to identify the shop. You can choose the different parts of fish as ingredients, choices like fish eggs, fish skin, deep-fried fish slices, fish slices, fish balls, and fish stomach. Other ingredients, they have sea snail slices and fried wanton. I chose mixed fish soup "鱼什粉麵", consists of all the ingredients in one bowl.




The open kitchen is clean and hygienic. 




This is my bowl of fish soup. Tastes good but it is not up to my expectation. I didn't have the lost-and-found feeling like "this is it!". May be the soup wasn't hot enough. Nevertheless, this is also another good option. We all liked its soup base, tangy and appetizing. My friends like their deep-fried fish slices too.




There's another place in KK which is famous for its fish soup too, called Kedai Kopi Wan Wan. Unfortunately, the location is quite far from our hotel. Maybe reserve it for my next visit. I still feel like having the steamed prawns at Salut Seafood Restaurant. The previous trip, I managed to have seafood at Welcome Seafood Restaurant at Asia City. The prawn size is so much bigger, but I still prefer the steamed prawns at Salut. Next, will blog the seafood we had at Welcome Seafood Restaurant. Stay tuned.


The map to Kedai Kopi Jiang Yu Zai:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...